Multi-sector partnerships are formed when organisations from one or more of the business, government, community or education sectors decide to work together to achieve specific outcomes. It enables strong relationships to be developed based on mutual trust and respect, which form a foundation for sustainable development outcomes to be achieved.
Multi-sector partnerships can take many forms and be utilised for many objectives, such as:
- Resolving complex issues involving resources;
- Implementing multi-sector stakeholder initiatives;
- Developing economic and social capital;
- Building capacity within communities;
- Developing regional economies;
- Implementing corporate social responsibility initiatives.
Partnerships are a means to an end - not an end in themselves. They are a way of engaging more than one group, organisation or sector in a program, project or initiative which enables greater innovation, increased resources and greater capacity to be accessed than would otherwise have been the case.